The University Record, December 18, 2000
Memorial plaque rededicated to alumni war veteransBy Joanne Nesbit
News and Information Services
was unveiled in 1914, removed in the 1960s during a renovation project,
and mounted and rededicated Dec. 14. This large bronze plaque, recently
reinstalled in the north stairwell of Alumni Memorial Hall, signifies the
dedication of the building to all who have served in the wars of
their country, either in the naval or military departments.
President Lee C. Bollinger made comments at the Dec. 14 ceremony
rededicating a memorial plaque honoring alumni who served in various wars.
The building itself, now commonly known as the Museum of Art but officially Alumni Memorial Hall, at one time was home to the Alumni Association during the same period it housed the Universitys art collection. The plaque is the work of A.A. Weinmann, a New York sculptor.
At the initial dedication June 24, 1910, Judge Claudius B. Grant told those gathered for the occasion that the tablet registered in imperishable form your main purpose in erecting Alumni Memorial Hall. The tablet tells the story in words more eloquent than any I could utter. Grant reminded the crowd that from the time of the first U-M graduating class in 1845 until the current year (1910) the sons of our alma mater have responded to every call to arms made by their country. They were found fighting on the battle fields of Mexico in 1847; of that great four years contest 186165 . . ., and of the war in Spain in 1898. In these three wars, 1,943 of the sons of this University served their country as soldiers. Fifteen hundred and fourteen of this number served in the Civil War.
The ceremony featured Civil War re-enactors, such as U-M alumnus Rob
Stone, a member of the Civil War Roundtable, one of several organizations
instrumental in locating, restoring and reinstalling the plaque.
The University has two buildings dedicated as war memorialsAlumni Memorial Hall and Michigan Stadium.
The Regents dedicated the football stadium as a memorial in the 1940s. Marshall Fredericks American Eagle at the stadiums main entrance has its wings extended and its head down in a guarded position, to protect the wreath of honor at its feet. This monument is inscribed, In memory of the men and women of the University of Michigan who gave their lives for their country.