The University Record, May 21, 2001

Historic Observatory open for tours

This 1854 meridian circle telescope can be viewed at the U-M Detroit Observatory, located at the corner of East Ann and Observatory streets, 11 a.m.–2 p.m. May 23 during an Observatory open house. Docent-guided tours will be available.

The Observatory serves as a museum and center for 19th-century science, technology and culture. U-M President Henry Tappan named the building after its major donors from Detroit and made it the campus’ first research laboratory. Today, it is the second oldest remaining building on campus and recently has undergone a complete restoration.

A $5 donation is suggested for admission. For more information, call (734) 763-2230 or visit the Web at www.DetroitObservatory.umich.edu. Photo by Martin Vloet, U-M Photo Services