The Burton Memorial Tower on the University of Michigans Central Campus will start to rock at 4 p.m. Nov. 9 when the University and Ann Arbor communities gather on Ingalls Mall to celebrate the Towers recent $1.8 million renovation and 65 years as a campus and city landmark.
Amid bells, brass and free refreshments, the history and the future of Burton Tower will be noted and celebrated. All 43 tons of bells will be used by U-M carillonist Margo Halsted in concert with other musicians from the School of Music.
Designed by Albert Kahn, who also designed the Clements Library, Angell Hall, East Hall, the Natural Science Building, Hill Auditorium and the Helen Newberry Residence, the Tower was completed in 1936. It was named for and dedicated to former U-M President Marion Leroy Burton.
The Tower contains the Charles Baird Carillon, one of the four heaviest carillons in the world.
Baird, a U-M graduate, lawyer and first U-M athletic director, had the bells cast in England and gave them to the University. He also commissioned Sunday Morning in Deep Waters, the fountain on Ingalls Mall between Burton Tower and the Michigan League.
The public is invited to join in this celebration of U-Ms architectural and musical heritage and the Towers recent renovation.