The University Record, November 12, 2001

On its mark today

The historical marker (upper left) is mounted about 100 feet away from the original site of the University of Michigan in downtown Detroit. Adjacent to the site today is the Comerica Building (center). The University was established in 1817 and was modeled after the University of France, created by Napolean Bonaparte (inset right). See related story, page 3. (Photos by Marcia Ledford, U-M Photo Services. Drawing courtesy of Bentley Historical Library.)