Douglas Amerson, who works for contractor Andrews and Lawrence,
replaces windows in the president's house. The new windows are double-hung
wood units replicating the six-over-six of the original 1840 house.
In 1891, during a major remodeling of the house, the windows were
replaced with one-over-one units that were on the house until last
On the outside of the wood windows is a thin layer of aluminum,
which molds exactly to the profile of the wood casing and muntins.
The wood on the inside will be painted white. (Photo by Martin
Vloet, U-M Photo Services)