The University of MichiganNews Services
The University Record Online
Updated 11:00 AM November 24, 2003



news briefs


UM employment

police beat
regents round-up
research reporter


Advertise with Record

contact us
meet the staff
contact us
Speaking of English

The English Language Institute (ELI), established in 1941, recently moved to the TCF Building, 401 E. Liberty St., Suite 350. The institute, previously in the North University Building, continues to offer services and courses for international students, graduate student instructors and scholars to enhance their linguistic and communicative skills in the academic context. Under a new director, Diane Larsen-Freeman, ELI has increased its efforts in teacher and migrant education and continues to support the assessment and understanding of English—via international test development and the Michigan Corpus of Academic Spoken English project. Pictured here is lecturer Melinda Matice (right) working with International Visiting Scholars to improve their confidence and ability in using academic English. At left is Hyun Hee Kim from South Korea and at center is Tamia Baibich from Brazil. (Photo by Marcia Ledford, U-M Photo Services)

More Stories