Committee members selected to aid search for DPS head
A search advisory committee has been announced to help identify an executive director of the Department of Public Safety. Current DPS leader William (Bill) Bess, who has been with the University since 1989, plans to retire in the near future, says Henry Baier, associate vice president for facilities and operations.
"As Bill and I have planned for the succession to the next leader of DPS, we have agreed upon an approach where he will continue in his role until a successor has been identified. This long-range planning allows the University to post the position and begin a careful process to identify the best candidates."
Members of the search advisory committee include:
• Paula Allen-Meares, dean, School of Social Work
• Bret Chaness, student, Michigan Student Assembly, chair of the Campus Safety Commission
• Stephen Hipkiss, Facilities and Operations manager, University Library member, Campus Safety and Security Advisory Committee chair, U-M Police Oversight Committee
• Stacy Johnson, human resources officer, Office of the Associate Vice President for Facilities & Operations
• John Matlock, director, Office of Academic Multicultural Initiatives and associate vice-provost, Office of the Provost
• Greg O'Dell, chief of police, Eastern Michigan University
• Tom Peterson, associate director, Operations and Support Services, U-M Hospitals and Health Centers
• Jennifer Schrage, director, Office of Student Conflict Resolution, Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs
DPS is a full service law enforcement agency whose officers are licensed by the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards and have the authority to investigate, search, arrest and use reasonable force as necessary to protect persons and property and to enforce the laws of the State of Michigan and the Ordinance of the Regents of the University. The executive director of DPS guides the crime prevention, law enforcement, and safety and security services of the University.
To be considered for the position or to recommend a candidate, submit a letter of interest or nomination to firstname.lastname@example.org.
More information is available at www.umich.edu/~facops/PublicSafetyPosition.html.