The University of MichiganNews Services
The University Record Online
search
Updated 10:00 AM September 10, 2007
 

front

accolades

briefs

view events

submit events

UM employment


obituaries
police beat
regents round-up
research reporter
letters


archives

Advertise with Record

contact us
meet the staff
contact us
contact us

  University Research Corridor
Partnership creates 68,803 Michigan jobs

Urging lawmakers to "invest in what works for Michigan,'' the University Research Corridor presidents today (Sept. 10) released an independent analysis showing the state's three research universities helped create 68,803 Michigan jobs and produced $12.8 billion of net economic benefit in 2006.

"This report documents how Michigan's URC universities have become a vital economic engine for the state," said Patrick Anderson, principal and CEO of Anderson Economic Group, who led the four-month effort. The full report can be found at www.urcmich.org/economic/AEG_URC_FinalReport_Sept07.pdf.

In an independent assessment of the economic role of the three URC institutions Michigan State University, U-M and Wayne State University — the Anderson group found the URC:

• Makes a tremendous economic impact on the state. The $12.8 billion net economic impact represents the additional earnings to state residents. These new earnings to Michigan residents stem from expenditures by the URC universities on non-payroll items (such as supplies and equipment), employees, students and alumni. The AEG report counts only new spending caused by the URC universities in the state as "net benefit";

• Is a major employer. The URC employs 46,398 full- time equivalent employees (one of the state's four largest employers) and spends $6.5 billion on operations, such as payroll, facilities and supplies. The $6.5 billion amounts to 2 percent of all the economic activity in the state as a proportion of Michigan's Gross State Product;

• Educates hundreds of thousands of students each year. The URC enrolls 133,331 students per year, a total that far exceeds those of competing clusters in Massachusetts, California, North Carolina, Illinois and Pennsylvania that AEG examined for comparison purposes;

• Produces graduates who are highly valued in Michigan's emerging knowledge economy. URC schools produce 54 percent of the state's science and engineering degrees and nearly half of all health care-related degrees;

• Produces a cadre of educated alumni who live, work and pay taxes in Michigan. The URC has 556,338 living graduates in the state, 7.3 percent of the state's adult population. More than 60 percent of all URC alumni remain in Michigan while the other 40 percent are spread throughout the rest of the world; and

• Gives alumni an outstanding education that translates into earning power totaling more than $25 billion per year, or 13.4 percent of all wage and salary income in the state.

The study found the universities accounted for 94 percent of federal academic research dollars brought into Michigan; all three are among the top 75 of more than 600 U.S. research universities.

"Our competitors have been leveraging their assets and working together for decades while the URC is in its first year,'' said President Mary Sue Coleman. "California's long history of partnerships between universities, cutting edge businesses and government has set an impressive standard but in just our first year as partners we're seeing limitless potential for the future.''

The report measures the Research Corridor universities against six comparable clusters in regions known as knowledge economy leaders:

• Boston's 128 Corridor: Harvard University/Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and Tufts University

• Silicon Valley/Northern California: Stanford University, University of California and UC-San Francisco

• The Research Triangle: University of North Carolina, Duke University and N.C. State University

• Chicago/Illinois: University of Chicago, Northwestern University and University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

• Southern California: UCLA, University of Southern California and UC-San Diego and Pennsylvania: Penn State University (all campuses), University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University

In 2004 Michigan's R&D spending of $1.3 billion exceeded that of Harvard, MIT and Tufts; as well as North Carolina's "Research Triangle" universities and the Pennsylvania cluster, beating all the national competitors other than the two California clusters.

By 2005, however, North Carolina's Research Triangle surpassed Michigan's URC, as North Carolina continued to boost investments in higher education and research.

For more about the URC, visit: www.urcmich.org.

More Stories