Before his departure, Provost Phil Hanlon named a search advisory committee for the dean of the College of Pharmacy. The advisory committee was charged by the current provost, Martha E. Pollack.
Vicki Ellingrod, John Gideon Searle Professor and professor of pharmacy, College of Pharmacy, and professor of psychiatry, Medical School, will chair the committee that has been charged with conducting a broad search and presenting an unranked slate of recommended candidates by the end of fall semester 2013.
Other members of the committee are:
• Heather A. Carlson, professor of medicinal chemistry, College of Pharmacy; and professor of chemistry, LSA.
• Robert A. Carver, senior budget officer, College of Pharmacy.
• John S. Clark, clinical assistant professor of pharmacy, College of Pharmacy, and director of Pharmacy Services, Inpatient Pharmacy Services, University of Michigan Hospitals.
• James S. Jackson, Daniel Katz Distinguished University Professor of Psychology, professor of psychology, LSA; director, Institute for Social Research; and research professor, Research Center for Group Dynamics, ISR.
• Susan M. Lignell, Doctor of Pharmacy alumna; chair, College of Pharmacy Alumni Board of Governors; adjunct faculty, College of Pharmacy; regional scientific director, U.S. Clinical Development & Medical Affairs, Novartis Pharmaceuticals.
• Marie A. Marcelino, clinical professor of pharmacy, College of Pharmacy; clinical pharmacist, Inpatient Pharmacy Services, University of Michigan Hospitals, Briarwood Health Center.
• Jeffrey R. Martens, associate professor of pharmacology, Medical School.
• Joslyn D. Neal, Doctor of Pharmacy student, College of Pharmacy.
• Kathleen A. Stringer, professor of pharmacy, College of Pharmacy.
• Duxin Sun, associate professor of pharmaceutical sciences, College of Pharmacy.
• Xi Tan, Ph.D. student, College of Pharmacy.
• Ronald W. Woodard, Frederick F. Blicke College Professor of Pharmacy, professor of medicinal chemistry, College of Pharmacy; and professor of chemistry, LSA.
In a recent email to faculty and staff at the College of Pharmacy, Hanlon wrote that Frank Ascione will step down as dean Aug. 31, 2014, after a decade of service.
“During his tenure Dean Ascione has successfully championed the enhancement of the College’s organizational structure and the improvement of the educational experience for a record number of pharmacy students. He has grown the college through increased numbers of faculty and staff while improving the college’s facilities and increasing and diversifying revenue,” Hanlon wrote. “The College of Pharmacy has thrived under Dean Ascione’s leadership as it has developed more innovative practice models to improve patient care, developed research Centers of Excellence, and expanded educational programs.”
Dr. Masahito Jimbo, associate professor of family medicine and urology, Medical School, on what insires him: "When something clicks in a learner’s head, her/his face brightens up in a certain way that always gives me a thrill."
“Retaining Identity,” featuring the work of U-M Silver Club mild memory loss members and art students, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. daily through June 23, Matthaei Botanical Gardens.