The University Record, April 26, 1993

REGENTS’ ROUNDUP

Editor’s Note: The following actions were taken by the Retgents at their April meeting.

Winn to hold Croushore Professorship

James A. Winn, professor of English and director of the Institute for the Humanities, also will hold the Mary Fair Croushore Professorship, which was established two months ago.

“The University received an undesignated bequest from the Mary Fair Croushore Trust which President James J. Duderstadt designated to endow the directorship of the Institute for the Humanities,” said LS&A Dean Edie N. Goldenberg.

Winn is the Institute’s first permanent director. The Institute was founded in 1988.

“Under his leadership, the Institute has raised millions of dollars in endowment, established innovative and influential programs for collaborative interdisciplinary research, and gained national prominence as a model for university-based humanities centers,” Goldenberg said.

Winn is a scholar of 18th-century English. His publications include A Window in the Bosom: The Letters of Alexander Pope, Unsuspected Eloquence: A History of the Relations Between Poetry and Music and John Dryden and his World.

Winn also is professor of music (literature and music). He studied flute and won performance competitions sponsored by the Louisville Orchestra and the International Bach Society and was twice a finalist in the Concert Artists Guild competition.

He joined the faculty in 1983. The Regents approved his appointment to the Croushore Professorship at their April meeting

Adamson, Brandwin granted emeritus status

Two faculty members were given the emeritus title by the Regents at their April meeting. They are:

Thomas C. Adamson Jr., professor of aerospace engineering

Adamson joined the University in 1954 and his professional interests include fundamental aspects of high-speed aerodynamics, aircraft propulsion and combustion. He is well known for his work on detonation waves, transonic flows and supersonic jets. “His many doctoral students have achieved distinguished careers in universities and research laboratories,” the Regents noted. “One of the aerospace engineering department’s most popular teachers, Prof. Adamson received the University’s Distinguished Faculty Achievement Award in 1980.

“As chair of the Department of Aerospace Engineering in 1983–91, Prof. Adamson was instrumental in attracting several highly talented faculty members to the department. He also played a pivotal role in planning and fund-raising for the Francois-Xavier Bagnoud Building.”

Marvin A. Brandwin, assistant professor of psychology

Brandwin joined the University in 1953 and served as a senior clinical psychologist at the Veterans Readjustment Center at the Medical Center in 1953–62 and as staff psychologist at the Neuropsychiatric Institute in 1963–68. He was appointed instructor in the Department of Psychiatry in 1965 and was promoted to assistant professor in 1968.

“Prof. Brandwin’s primary expertise was in psychodiagnostic testing,” the Regents noted. “He served as psychological testing director for adult services in 1976–91 and also provided sterling leadership as psychology training director for adult services in 1982–91. For more than three decades, Prof. Brandwin was involved in the clinical supervision of psychology interns and psychiatric residents. He also was instrumental in implementing the first outpatient continuing-care clinic for chronic psychiatric patients.”

Saxonhouse named to Murfin Professorship

Arlene W. Saxonhouse, professor of political science and of women’s studies, also will hold the James Orin Murfin Professorship of Political Science.

Her appointment, for a three-year term beginning Sept. 1, was approved by the Regents at their April meeting. The Murfin Professorship was established in 1940 by a gift from John W. Anderson, a U-M alumnus. The chair has been awarded in recent years to distinguished members of the political science faculty for research and writing.

“Prof. Saxonhouse is a leading scholar of ancient political thought,” said LS&A Dean Edie N. Goldenberg. “She has been a pioneer in introducing the concept of gender into the study of political theory.

“Her first book, Women in the History of Political Thought: Ancient Greek to Machiavelli was published in 1985. In 1992 she published Fear of Diversity: The Birth of Political Science in Ancient Greek Thought. Her current work concerns the treatment of democracy by the classic Greek philosophers and historians,” Goldenberg noted.

“She is presently a vice president of the American Political Science Association and has been honored with a number of named lectureships and fellowships from the National Endowment for the Humanities. She received the Faculty Recognition Award in 1986.”

Saxonhouse, a faculty member since 1972, has been chair of the Department of Political Science since 1990.

$6.3 million in gifts accepted

The Regents accepted $6,304,526 in gifts received during March. The total included $3,824,439 from individuals, $1,355,513 from corporations, $543,252 from foundations, and $581,322 from associations and others.