The University Record, September 19, 1994


By Mary Jo Frank

Infant’s death appears to be homicide

An autopsy on Jaylon Jervante Jones, a 2-year-old boy who died Aug. 31 in Family Housing, indicates that his death occurred as a result of a homicide.

The autopsy was performed by M. Caplan, medical examiner, who ruled that the cause of death was due to “blunt impacts to (the) head with injuries of (the) brain and brain swelling.”

Police received a 911 call at about 10:30 p.m. Aug. 31 when the child’s baby sitter, James Mark Chatman, 30, ran to neighbors saying he could not resuscitate the child after a fall in the bathtub. Chatman was caring for Jaylon and his twin sister at their Northwood V residence. The children’s mother, Yvette Jones, was working the evening shift at the U-M Hospitals where she is employed in materiel management.

Charges have not yet been filed in connection with the death. U-M Police are continuing their investigation.

Spray painting spree ends in arrests

Two Washtenaw Community College students were arrested Aug. 30 for spray-painting several U-M campus buildings around 3:15 a.m. Aug. 17.

Department of Public Safety (DPS) officers picked up the two students, ages 18 and 19, who allegedly spray-painted part of the exteriors of Hutchins Hall and the Michigan Union, as well as the Diag and a University vehicle.

Capt. James R. Smiley says damage is estimated at as much as $1,800.

Charges of malicious destruction of property over $100 and conspiracy to do malicious destruction—both felonies—are pending against the two in Ann Arbor’s 15th District Court.

24-year-old man charged in credit card theft

A 24-year-old man was arraigned Aug. 24 in 15th District Court on charges of stealing and retaining a financial transaction device without consent and larceny of $100 or less in a case that began at the Central Campus Recreation Building in May.

He allegedly stole a wallet, $13 in cash and a credit card from a student.

Charges are pending in Washtenaw County Circuit against the man who has been released on personal recognizance. Stealing and retaining a financial transaction device is a felony with a penalty of up to two years in jail.

Woman raped by acquaintance

A 36-year old man has been charged with third degree criminal sexual conduct in the 8:45 p.m. Aug. 17 rape of a 23-year old woman in a Michigan Union stairwell. Neither is affiliated with the University.

Smiley says prior to the sexual assault, the two met at an area fast food restaurant, went to the basement of the Union and took an elevator to the fourth floor.

The woman called DPS and was treated at U-M Hospitals. DPS officers found the defendant sleeping in the Union.

The man’s case is pending in Circuit Court. Third degree criminal sexual conduct is a felony with a penalty of up to 15 years in jail.

Man will be extradited for stabbing incident

DPS officers who caught a 25-year-old man stealing a bicycle at 1:30 a.m. Aug. 12 near East Quadrangle found he was carrying a knife in his fanny pack.

When doing a routine file check on the man, who is not affiliated with the University, DPS learned he is wanted on an outstanding felony warrant for stabbing a man with a knife on a Seattle, Wash., bus.

In his preliminary examination Aug. 31, the man pled no contest to the charge of receiving and concealing property over $100 and pled guilty to carrying a concealed weapon. After going through Michigan’s judicial process, the man will be extradited to Seattle, Smiley says.