The University Record, April 2, 1996
CAUP recognized for publication
News and Information Services
The College of Architecture and Urban Planning has received a Certificate of Recognition from the University History and Traditions Committee for the publication of More Than A Handsome Box: Education in Architecture at the University of Michigan, 1876-1986. The certificate was presented to Dean Robert M. Beckley at a meeting of the College's Alumni Society Board of Governors by Robert M. Warner, chair of the Committee.
The publication was commended for "emphasiz[ing] for our students, faculty, staff, and alumni the College's significant achievements... and the contributions it has made to education in architecture for more than a century."
More Than A Handsome Box, written by Bentley Historical Library archivist Nancy Bartlett, tells the story of architectural education at the U-M from its inception with the appointment of William Le B aron Jenney, the first faculty member in architecture, to 1986.
"Knowledge of our distinguished heritage enriches our understanding and appreciation of the achievements of this institution over the years," President James J. Duderstadt and Warner noted in the citation. "The College of Architectu re and Urban Planning has illuminated and preserved an important part of this history."