The University Record, April 23, 1996
The Regents approved the sale of two pieces of University property, formerly the sites of Shady Trails Camp and Camp Filibert Roth.
Shady Trails Camp, located on 26 acres of land in Omena, Mich., along Grand Traverse Bay, provided a summertime program for children with speech and language impairments. The Regents approved closing the camp at their April 1995 meeting.
The land for Shady Trails Camp was originally purchased in 1949 from its founder, John Clancy, with the under standing that the camp would be operated to provide services to those with communicative disorders. In accordance with the wishes of Marie Clancy Hagerman, Clancy's daughter, funds from the sale of the land will be used to establish an endowment fund in her parents' names. The John and Grace Clancy Endowment Fund will benefit the U-M Communicative Disorders Clinic.
Camp Filibert Roth, the University's Forestry and Natural Resources summer field camp, was closed in 1988 and its activities transferred to the U-M Biological Station. The property encompasses 214 acres in the southwestern portion of Michigan's Upper Peninsula on Golden Lake in Iron County.
Since the camp was maintained over the years by the School of Natural Resources and Environment, proceeds from the sale of the land will go to the School.
Advertisements requesting bids on the two pieces of property will be placed in local, state and national publications.