The University Record, April 30, 1996
U gets award for preservation efforts
The living room in the President's House is an example of how in the last decade the University has embraced a philosophy emphasizing the natural beauty of the campus and the value of its historic buildings. Built in 1840, the President's House is the oldest building on Central Campus. It was included on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970.
The U-M's restoration, renovation and preservation efforts were recognized with an award from the Michigan Historic Preservation Network as part of the 16th Annual Preservation Conference held on campus April 1920. Paul Spradlin, interim associate vice president for business operations, accepted the award on behalf of the University.
The award recognized the renovations of the 1924 Angell Hall, the C.C. Little Building constructed in 1925, the renovation and adaptive reuse of the 1923 East Engineering Bldg. (renamed East Hall), the renovation and expansion of Randall Laborator y built in 1924, and the addition to Angell Hall, dubbed the Angell-Haven "Connector." The award also cited the University's ongoing efforts to recognize and maintain the historic integrity of the campus.
Photo by Mary Jo Frank