The University Record, May 21, 1996

Fulbright Grant applications available

Applications are now available for 1997­98 Fulbright Grants for graduate study abroad in academic fields and for professional training in the creative and performing arts. The deadline is Sept. 25.

The J. William Fulbright Grants were established "to increase mutual under standing between the people of the United States and other countries through the exchange of persons, knowledge and skills."

For all grants, applicants must be U.S. citizens at the time of application and hold a bachelor's degree or its equivalent by the beginning date of grant. Creative and performing artists are not required to have a bachelor's degree, but they must have four years of relevant training or study. All applicants are required to have sufficient proficienc y in the language of the host country to carry out their proposed study or research.

Full grants provide round-trip international travel, a research allowance and tuition waivers. Travel grants provide round-trip international travel to the country where the student will pursue study or research.

The awards are funded by Congress, foreign governments, universities, corporations and private donors.

For information, contact Patricia McCune, U-M Fulbright Program Adviser, 340 Lorch Hall 1220.