Hazel M. Avery, professor emerita of nursing, died Sept. 9 in Bremerton, Wash. She was 89.
Avery, who served as assistant director of the nursing service at Womens Hospital and as chair of maternity nursing in the School of Nursing, was a pioneer in family-centered maternity nursing, which provides for mothers and newborns rooming together, fathers in labor and delivery rooms, and sibling visitations.
On her retirement, the Regents said: One rarely finds such outstanding capability as both teacher and administrator as has been demonstrated by Prof. Avery. She is at once recognized nationally for her contributions to the practice of obstetric nursing and beloved by her students for her uncanny ability to inspire in them a zeal for learning and understanding.
Born in Kansas, Avery received her A.B. from Intermountain Union College, Montana, and her diploma in nursing from the U-M in 1932. In 1934 she was appointed assistant night superintendent at University Hospital and, in 1939, became an instructor in nursing and supervisor of obstetrics.
She was promoted to assistant professor in 1952, associate professor in 1957, assistant director of Nursing Service in Obstetrics and Gynecology in 1959, and professor of nursing in 1966.
Avery was co-author of Gynecology and Gynecological Nursing, member of the American Red Cross Nursing Service and a charter member of Sigma Theta Tau, the National Honor Society of Nursing. She was the first nursing member of the Norman F. Miller Gynecological Honor Society and received one of 15 U-M School of Nursing Centennial Awards.
Memorials to the Hazel M. Avery Maternity Fund may be sent to the School of Nursing, 400 N. Ingalls, Room 1346, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-0482.