The University Record, May 20, 1997
Editor's Note: The following actions were taken by the Regents at their May meeting.
$9.2 million in gifts accepted
The Regents accepted $9,216,360 in gifts received during April. The total includes $2,457,335 from individuals, $2,558,861 from corporations, $3,026,933 from foundations, and $1,173,231 from associations and others.
Faculty appointments approved
Tenured faculty appointments included:
Rodney C. Ewing, from the University of New Mexico, will be professor of nuclear engineering and radiological sciences, with tenure, and professor of geological sciences, without tenure, effective Sept. 1.
Samuel D. Epstein, from Harvard University, will be associate professor of linguistics, effective Sept. 1.
Robert K. Lazarfeld, from the University of California, Los Angeles, will be professor of mathematics, effective Sept. 1.
Glenda Dickerson, from Spelman College, will be professor of theatre and drama, effective July 1.
Carol P. Richardson, from the University of New South Wales School of Music and Music Education in Sydney, Australia, will be associate professor of music (music education) effective Sept. 1.
Administrative appointments approved
Administrative appointments approved included:
Harrison L. Morton, professor of forest pathology, was reappointed associate dean of the School of Natural Resources and Environment for another three years, effective July 1.
Srinika D. Jayaratne, professor of social work, was reappointed associate dean of the School of Social Work, effective July 1, 1997-June 30, 2002.
Jose M. Rabasa, associate professor of Spanish and Latin American literature, will serve as chair of the Department of Romance Languages and Literatures, for a three-year term beginning July 1.
Campbell appointed to Wilhartz Assistant Professorship
Stephen J. Campbell, assistant professor of history of art, will also hold the William Wilhartz Assistant Professorship of History of Art.
The professorship, established by a gift from Edna and Norman Freehling, is for junior faculty members in the humanities and is held by individuals on a rotating basis.
19 faculty members retire
Nineteen faculty members were given the emeritus title.
Those retiring are Kurt Brandle, professor of architecture; C. Tristram Coffin, professor of physics; Lewis Hugh Cooper, professor of music (bassoon); George W. Ford, professor of physics; David Goldberg, professor of sociology and research scientist;
Rolf Hartung, professor of environmental toxicology and research scientist; Karl T. Hecht, professor of physics; Lois W. Hoffman, professor of psychology; Robert T. Lenaghan, professor of English; William G. Lockwood, professor of anthropology;
Donald I. Meyer, professor of physics; Bradford Perkins, professor of history; Frank A. Raymond, professor of mathematics; Art J. Schwartz, associate professor of mathematics; William E. Sharp, research scientist;
Yuzuru J. Takeshita, professor of health behavior and health education; Martinus J.G. Veltman, the John D. MacArthur Professor of Physics; Joseph Veroff, professor of psychology and research scientist; and Glenn E. Watkins, the Earl V. Moore Professor of Music (music history/musicology).
Brandle, who joined the U-M in 1981, "consults as a member of the University's Energy Conservation Committee and has recently completed a research project on the cost effectiveness of energy-conservation measures related to the Model Energy Code in Michigan," the Regents said. "In 1986-87, he received the ASHRAE Energy Award. Prof. Brandle has clearly had an impact on the building systems and energy management, performance and applications of many buildings, especially on the U-M campus. Under his guidance, students have become passionate in their respect for the environment and in their desire to promote energy conservation."
Coffin joined the U-M in 1959. "His early work involved experiments on a number of particle reactions using spark chamber and counter techniques," the Regent said. "Between 1963 and 1975, he worked on a number of experiments at the Argonne Zero Gradient Synchrotron involving pion-produced reactions. From the mid-70s through 1981, he collaborated with a group at Fermilab investigating neutrino interactions with the large bubble chamber. In the late 1980s, Prof. Coffin turned to biophysics, using electron paramagnetic resonance and Mossbauer spectrometers to study the active sites of metal proteins."
Cooper, who joined the U-M in 1945, was "a member of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra in 1946-64, performing in approximately 2,500 concerts. He was the bassoonist on more than 30 distinguished recordings made by the orchestra during that time, under the direction of Paul Paray. He is the author of several influential articles on bassoon technique. Perhaps his major contribution to the bassoon world lies in his study of the acoustics of the bassoon, the fruition of which, in a longtime collaboration with Puchner bassoons, is the `Cooper Model' that has been widely acclaimed for its musical excellence. Most of all, he has been an enthusiastic teacher of young bassoonists."
Ford joined the faculty in 1958. "A theoretical physicist, early in his career Prof. Ford built an international reputation in the field of statistical mechanics," the Regent noted. "He then made significant contributions to beta decay and electromagnetism, both classical and quantum. He is known for his command of mathematical techniques for the analysis of complex problems in electromagnetism. He has lectured and published on topics in special and general relativity, biophysics, fluid mechanics, and nonlinear mechanics. He has also had fruitful collaborations with colleagues in solid state physics and atomic physics."
Goldberg joined the U-M in 1956. "His numerous publications on differential fertility are considered signal by population researchers, and his emphasis on the importance of gender roles in fertility predates current interests by decades. Prof. Goldberg was also one of the early users of substantive regression procedures for population estimation and projection; his publications for the Governor's Commission and the Great Lakes Regional Commission appearing well before the federal government adopted those techniques. Although Prof. Goldberg had a distinguished research career, he seems most pleased with his role as an educator."
Hartung, who joined the faculty in 1964, was "a noted teacher of toxicology and was instrumental in the development of the program of graduate studies in toxicology. He chaired the Interdepartmental Program in Toxicology in 1974-80. He was among the first to be nationally recognized for his expertise in toxicology when he was board certified in toxicology in 1980 by the American Board of Toxicology. He has conducted seminal research on the application of quantitative models to the environmental toxicology of pesticides and heavy metals, with ultimate applications to risk assessment."
Hecht joined the faculty in 1955. "Early in his career, he worked on the study of infrared spectroscopy and molecular structure, achieving national recognition as one of a handful of theorists who had brought the theory of molecular structure to a nearly final, rigorous, and self-consistent form. He then turned his attention to nuclear physics, and quickly achieved international recognition for the comprehensiveness of his understanding of nuclear physics and for the precision and elegance of his theoretical formulations. Prof. Hecht is now among the leading nuclear theorists in the world, and is widely considered the leader in the application of group theoretical methods to problems of nuclear structure."
Hoffman, who joined the U-M in 1967, "has had an impact on thousands of students through her teaching and through her landmark textbook, Developmental Psychology Today, which is now in its sixth edition. She has received numerous awards, including the Child Study Association Outstanding Book Award (1966), the J.F. Lewis Award from the American Philosophical Society (1978), an Outstanding Teaching Award from the Department of Psychology (1981) and the LS&A Excellence in Education Award in 1994. Within the University, Prof. Hoffman helped to establish the Women's Studies Program and chaired the developmental area in the psychology department."
Lenaghan joined the faculty in 1961. "At Michigan, his work evolved along three major lines of interest: medieval and early modern literature; composition studies; and faculty governance, both within and beyond the U-M. His major editorial contributions include Caxton's Aesop, published in 1967, and (as co-editor responsible for the short poems in the Chaucer canon) The Riverside Chaucer, published in 1987. He also published a number of journal contributions that range from philological studies to the analysis of social patterns among those members of medieval society who would have constituted part of Chaucer's audience. In the area of faculty governance, Prof. Lenaghan's contributions were unusually wide-ranging."
Lockwood, who joined the U-M in 1969, "has played an essential role in anchoring the University's presence in the anthropology of Eastern Europe and is probably best known for the solidity and high quality of his descriptive ethnography. His well-known book, European Moslems: Ethnicity and Economy in Western Bosnia, remains an essential text for contemporary understanding of the region. Prof. Lockwood has been an instrumental figure in the department; he has directed the Honors Program for undergraduate majors, served as associate chair; and served as a valued member of the executive committee."
Meyer joined the faculty in 1957. "His initial work at the U-M involved bubble chamber experiments. Later, he collaborated in work on strong interactions and the associated production of strange particles. During this period, he worked on a technique for modulating the voltage on the cathode of a photomultiplier as a means of achieving very good time resolution. He also collaborated on the development of a spectrometer magnet and on optical spark chambers. He initiated a joint program between the Department of Physics and the College of Engineering to train Ph.D. students in practical applications of modern physics technologies, which led to the highly successful Program in Applied Physics."
Perkins, who joined the U-M in 1962, is "recognized as one of the leading historians of American foreign relations in the United States. The author, editor, or co-editor of seven books and scores of other publications, his works have been distinguished by their pathbreaking character, the meticulousness of their author's research, the sharpness of their insights, and an engaging literary style. At Michigan, he has been an excellent teacher and a major force in the shaping of the history department's curriculum. He has been chair of the history department, served numerous times on the department's executive committee and was a longtime chair of the history department graduate advisers."
Raymond joined the faculty in 1962. "His research has been concerned with both algebraic and geometric topology. His early work in generalized manifolds found immediate applications to the theory of transformation groups," the Regents said. "Prof. Raymond worked out the theory of the symmetries of 3-dimensional manifolds. This led to his interest in Seifert manifolds, which play an important role in many geometric studies. He takes a keen interest in the development of graduate students, having directed 25 dissertations over the last 30 years. Almost all of his former students maintain active programs of mathematical research in this country or abroad."
Schwartz joined the faculty in 1965. "In 1962, Prof. Schwartz solved an open problem in dynamical systems theory, extending to all compact surfaces the well-known work of Deujoy which applied only to torus; namely that all minimal sets are trivial if the flow is C2. In addition to further work on dynamical systems, he turned his attention to study the political and social uses of technology. For several years, he consulted at the CAD/CAM department of Ford Motor Company. This work led to an interest in the analytical and algebraic geometry of real surfaces of low degree, applying abstract theory to study such practical surfaces as a windshield."
Sharp joined the U-M Space Physics Research Laboratory as research associate in 1970. "Dr. Sharp's research activities focused mainly on the study of the earth's upper atmosphere, using experiments conceived, designed, and built by him and his students and launched on sounding rockets. His path-finding work has long been considered the standard for the field of experimental aeronomy using sounding rockets. His pioneering measurements of atomic oxygen concentrations in the atmosphere in the early 1970s, for example, stimulated the entire science community to reach a greater quantitative appreciation of the role of reactive odd oxygen species in upper atmosphere."
Takeshita, who joined the U-M in 1964, "has had a distinguished international career, concentrating on fertility surveys and evaluation of population and health-related programs in the Third World, primarily in Southeast Asia and East Asia. He served as a consultant to many projects under the auspices of major U.S. and international organizations and was a senior staff member of the World Fertility Survey, one of the largest survey operations in history. Within the University, Prof. Takeshita provided academic leadership to the Department of Population Planning and International Health, serving terms as chair of the department and director of the Center for Population Planning."
Veltman, who joined the U-M in 1981, is "known worldwide for his pioneering work on the renormalizability of gauge theories. The discovery that these theories are renormalizable has revolutionized the field of particle physics. All interactions---weak, electromagnetic, strong---are described by a gauge theory, and the precise understanding of these theories has made it possible to extract precise predictions and quantities to be observed experimentally. Prof. Veltman was the first to start a systematic analysis of the calculation of radiative corrections. The methods developed by him and his students are the basis for that branch of research."
Veroff joined the faculty in 1957. "At Michigan, Prof. Veroff co-directed what is certainly one of the landmark studies in American social science: a national interview study of the adult population's adaptation and satisfaction in work, marriage, and parenthood and their use of various resources when they are confronted with problems or crises. In 1976, he was principal investigator on a repeat of the original study that documented changes in the American population's values, attitudes and behaviors over the crucial decades from 1957 to 1976. Prof. Veroff approached his teaching with the same excitement and pleasure that he brought to research."
Watkins joined the faculty in 1963. "In his earliest scholarly work, he edited four volumes of the sacred music of Carlo Gesualdo. This served as impetus for his now-famous book on Gesualdo. In May 1995, an opera based on the life of Gesualdo (by the Russian composer Alfred Schnittke, with whom Prof. Watkins collaborated in 1992) premiered at the Vienna State Opera. This afforded Prof. Watkins, who spoke from the stage of the opera house at a matinee, yet another opportunity as protagonist for the composer who has loomed large in much of his scholarly career. He is also a scholar of 20th century music. His panoramic survey of 20th century music, Soundings, has become a standard text in universities and conservatories throughout the country."
Building projects approved
These building renovation projects were approved:
An energy conservation project will update the controls on the air handlers of the Central Campus Recreation Building to direct digital controls. A study conducted by the Utilities Department estimated an annual savings of $84,000 in energy costs. The project is estimated to cost $475,000.
"The building expansion continues on campus and parking continues to move outward as a result" noted Interim Executive Vice President Chandler W. Matthews. "With the success of the Green Road Pilot Park N Ride, we now propose a similar agreement with the Ann Arbor Transportation Authority (AATA) to develop another Park N Ride on State Street, south of Edwards Brothers Inc. The lot will be open to the public, used by riders boarding AATA and University buses, and will contain at least 450 parking spaces."
Under the terms of the agreement, AATA will fund $500,000 for the construction of the lot and the University will fund all maintenance for the lot. This project is a cost-effective method to meet the ongoing demand for parking.
Donald B. Canham Natatorium, the University's varsity pool, was designed and built in the mid-1980s. Since then, the nature of competition at the upper echelons of the NCAA has increased the demands on the quality of the pool environments.
Canham Natatorium has been experiencing increasingly serious water quality and air quality problems which, it was suspected, were also affecting elements of the building envelope. A study by consulting firms has identified a confluence of factors that, together, have caused significant problems in those areas and has recommended a course of action.
The estimate for the renewal project is $7 million. A financing plan will be submitted to the Regents at a future meeting. Design will begin immediately and construction would take place between the 1998 and 1999 swimming seasons.
In 1955 the Regents approved the purchase of five buildings in the Briarwood Mall area. The purchase included vacant land, and the construction of two new buildings (Building 10 and 10A). Building 10 was completed and occupied by the Briarwood Family Practice Center early this year. Building 10A was constructed as a 5,300-square-foot shell with the intent that Radiology Services would ultimately occupy it.
The shelled space will be completed and Radiology Services, presently located in Building 5, will move to the larger quarters in Building 10A. The project is estimated to cost $3.5 million, including approximately $2.4 million for equipment and furniture.
Two Medical School departments renamed
Two academic departments in the Medical School will change their names on July 1.
The Department of Family Practice will be renamed the Department of Family Medicine. The Department of Postgraduate Medicine and Health Professions will be renamed the Department of Medical Education.