The University Record, October 15, 1996
George J. Huebner
George J. Huebner Jr., husband of Regent Emerita Gertrude Huebner, died Oct. 4 in Ann Arbor. He was 86.
Huebner received his B.S. in Engineering from the U-M in 1932. He joined the Chrysler Corp. in 1931 as a laboratory engineer in the mechanical laboratories of the Engineering Division. He continued his career with the company through his retirement in 1975, serving as chief engineer, researcher, in executive engineering, in the missile branch of engineering, and as director of research for Chrysler until his retirement. He also served as president of the Chrysler Institute of Engineering from 1960 until his retirement.
Outside of his work at Chrysler, he served as chair of the board for the Environmental Research Institute of Michigan and as president, fellow and member of the board of directors of the Society of Automotive Engineers.
Huebner is known as the "father of the automotive gas turbine engine." Work on the engine began at Chrysler under his direction in 1945. He also organized a complete missile facility at Chrysler, including research, engineering and production. Author of numerous papers on automotive power plants, vehicles and components, he held more than 40 patents in the gas turbine automotive fields.
Memorial contributions may be sent to the George J. Huebner Jr. Scholarship Fund at the College of Engineering, Lurie Engineering Center, 1221 Beal Ave., Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2102.