The University Record, May 6, 1998
Maiteland Robert La Motte
Maiteland Robert La Motte, retired chief photographer for News and Information Services, died March 22 in Kentucky following a short illness. He was 79.
La Motte was a familiar face on campus for 21 years, after joining the University in 1952. Prior to that he was a photographer for the Ann Arbor News for six years, joining the paper following four years of military service as a staff sergeant in the U.S. Army Air Corps in World War II.
He was a charter life member of the National Press Photographers Association (NPPA) and the Michigan Press Photographers Association. He received numerous awards, including the Burt Williams Award from the NPPA in recognition of four decades of service. He also was a technical consultant for the Eastman Kodak Co. until his death.
As the U-M's chief photographer, La Motte photographed commencements, the Ann Arbor Festival and the famous and not-so-famous who came to Ann Arbor. Included in his portfolio were photographs of several world leaders, including U.S. presidents John Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson, Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos and Ethiopian Emperor Haile Selassie.
La Motte was the first to shoot aerial photographs of Michigan Stadium, one of which appears on a Marching Band album cover. He also took the photograph of basketball great Cazzie Russell that is still used today on tickets and hangs in Crisler Arena.
In 1963, he participated in a six-month expedition to Mt. Sinai, photographing markings left by Crusaders and ancient manuscripts at a sixth-century monastery. Several of these photographs appeared in National Geographic.
In retirement, La Motte taught and lectured on photography and Native American culture and crafts. An avid woodsman and outdoorsman, he was a member of the Michigan United Conservation Clubs. As a youngster, he was active in Boy Scouts and earned the rank of Eagle Scout while compiling a record 84 merit badges.
La Motte was preceded in death by his first wife, Trixie (1982); his brother Malcolm (1984); two sons, Gerald Ray (1948) and George Robert (1984); and one grandson, William Maiteland La Motte (1978).
He is survived by his second wife of 16 years, Betty Turner La Motte of Kentucky; two sons, Jim of East Lansing and Tim of Howell; one daughter, Jeannine of Howell; seven step-children; four grandchildren; 16 step-grandchildren; one great grandson; and three step-great grandchildren.
Submitted by the family
Paul Makanowitzky, whose commitment to the highest musical standards touched every facet of the School of Music and changed it for the better, died Feb. 24 in Freeport, Maine.
He retired from the School of Music in 1983 after serving for 13 years as a member of the strings instrument faculty. During his tenure at the U-M, he also conducted the University Chamber Orchestra and the University Philharmonia Orchestra.
A child prodigy, Makanowitzky appeared as a soloist throughout Europe before making his American debut at age 18. Born in Sweden to Russian parents on June 20, 1920, he began his violin studies at age four with Ivan Galmaian at the Russian Conservatory in Paris. He also was a pupil of Jacques Thibaud and Nadia Boulanger.
In appearances with orchestras in Europe and the United States, Makanowitzky performed under such renowned conductors as Boulanger, Golschamnn, Koussevitsky, Monteux, Paray and Ozawa.
His recordings include the Brahms Concerto with the Munich Philharmonic, 12 Vivaldi Concerti (Opus 9, Le cetra) with the Vienna State Orchestra, two Mozart concerti with the Saar Chamber Orchestra, and the complete piano-violin sonatas of Beethoven, Brahms and J.S. Bach with pianist Noel Lee. The Bach recording was awarded the Grand Prix du Disque.
Before joining the U-M in 1970, Makanowitzky held appointments at the Juilliard School, the Curtis Institute of Music and Meadowmount School of Music. He also was a visiting professor at Brandeis University, Toho-Gaukuen in Tokyo and the Royal Conservatory in Toronto.
He is survived by his wife, Barbara.
Submitted by the School of Music
Andrew S. Watson
Andrew S. Watson, professor emeritus of law and of psychiatry, died April 2 at age 77.
Watson founded the first interdisciplinary program in the Law School, and was a leader in bringing together law and psychiatry. His Psychiatry for Lawyers has been a standard text for many years. He joined the U-M faculty in 1959.
Watson taught a course in law and psychiatry and regularly collaborated with his colleagues in teaching criminal law and family law. He also taught negotiation and worked actively in legal clinical training. He had a particular interest in the lawyer-client relationship, resulting in The Lawyer in the Interviewing and Counseling Process.
From the beginning, Watson was a friendly critic of traditional law school teaching. He often forced his colleagues in the Law School to defend their use of the classical Socratic method, and was not bashful in suggesting how the method could be misused.
Watson's work was recognized in 1978 when he received the Isaac Ray Award from the American Psychiatric Association and in 1989 with the Seymour Pollack Distinguished Achievement Award from the American Academy of Psychiatry and Law.
He was a pioneer in bringing other disciplines to the modern American law school. The philosophers, economists, political scientists and historians who now inhabit our law schools have trod the path blazed by Andy Watson.
In the Medical School, Watson taught students and psychiatric residents and was a supervisor in family conjoint therapy. In private practice, he frequently treated couples. He also was a prominent forensic psychiatrist and welcomed the opportunity to explain and elaborate on the psychological etiology of behavior associated with civil and criminal liability. In court, he was a formidable witness.
Watson was born in Highland Park, Mich., and held a B.S. in zoology from the U-M (1942) and an M.D. from Temple University (1952). During World War II he served in the medical service corps in Europe. He did postgraduate work at the University of Pennsylvania Graduate Hospital and his psychiatric residency at Temple University.
In 1959, he completed training as a psychoanalyst at the Philadelphia Psychoanalyst. During his time there he was a special lecturer at the School of Social Work, Bryn Mawr College, and a member of the medical and law school faculties at the University of Pennsylvania.
Watson was a member of the American Psychiatric Association and the Group for the Advancement of Psychiatry, and a Fellow of the American College of Psychiatrists.
He was a board member of the Michigan Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice Commission, and was a charter member of the Board of Fellows of the National Center for Juvenile Justice in 197393.
He is survived by his wife of 30 years, Joyce; four sons, Andrew and David Watson and John and Steven Spiesberger; a sister, Ruth Andrews; and a brother, Glenn.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Law School or Individualized Hospice of Ann Arbor.
Submitted by the family