The University Record, September 9, 1998

Personal benefits statement now available by request

From the Benefits Office

In 1996-97, the University spent more than $303 million on benefits programs provided to faculty and staff members. (See the accompanying chart for the costs of each program.)

To break these numbers down to a personal level, the Benefits Office provides a Personal Statement of Benefits to faculty and staff every year. The statement summarizes the benefit programs in which you participate and provides a statement of the costs of those benefits to both you and the University.

In the past, the statement has been prepared by an outside company that specializes in producing personal benefits statements. This year, as part of an overall cost-cutting program, the statement is being produced in-house at the Benefits Office to achieve budget savings.

In addition this year, statements will not be mailed automatically to home addresses. You must request a statement to receive one. Please allow two weeks for receipt of your statement.

While statements can be produced for most faculty and staff members, there are some exceptions. Statements cannot be produced for house officers, graduate student instructors, graduate student staff assistants, graduate student research assistants, research fellows, employees who terminated during 1998, temporary staff members, retirees, survivors of active faculty or staff who are not also actively employed at the U-M, faculty or staff members on leave without salary as of Dec. 31, 1997, disability recipients, faculty or staff members with $0 salary or 0 percent appointment as of Dec. 31, 1997, or persons on scholarly activity leave.

Benefits shown on the statement are based on your personal situation as of Dec. 31, 1997, with the exception of health insurance, reimbursement accounts and basic retirement allocations. For those benefits, the status as of Jan. 1, 1998, was used. Any plan participation or appointment changes since those dates will not appear on the statement.

Additionally, the projection of your Social Security income at retirement, which is usually included, will not appear on the 1998 statement. That information is available to you from the Social Security Administration.

To request a Personal Statement of Benefits, which is available at any time, call the Benefits Office, (734) 763-0424, and leave a message, or send e-mail to Tell us your name, Social Security number, current home address and a phone number where you can be reached during the day.

Please review your statement carefully. If you have questions, call the Benefits Office most convenient for you: Central Campus, (734) 763-1214; Medical Campus, (734) 764-6584; Flint campus, (810) 766-6845; or Dearborn campus, (313) 593-5192.

Benefits 1996-97 University Cost

Health Care/Dental/Life




Social Security and Medicare




Benefits for Retirees


Unemployment and Worker's Compensation




You can always drop us a line: