|The Law Giver|
Running through more lives than a feline, and even spending time underground, the Universitys humor magazine keeps re-inventing itself and entertaining readers.
Arthur Miller wrote for the magazine in 193738 under the name Art Miller. Cartoonists Jerry Ellison and Lee Blaser drew for the magazine in the late 1920s and early 1930s, when it was published nine times a year on slick magazine stock with four-color covers and 54-page issues.
In the mid-1930s, The Gargoyle was selected as Americas Outstanding College Comic Magazine. It ceased publication in 1944 due to World War II, re-emerging in December 1945 with its Garg-Back-on-Campus-Issue. The Board in Control of Student Publications pulled the plug on the magazine in 1950, deciding it had crossed the barrier of good taste. Forced underground, it moved its offices out of the Student Publications Building into the basement of 211 S. State St.
By the late 1950s, The Gargoyle had dropped out of circulation again. It was resurrected by John Dobbertin Jr. in 1962, who latched onto such burning issues as co-ed housing and Michigan/Michigan State football. After writing previous editors for advice, Dobbertin learned that the revival issue would have to be clean enough to satisfy the Board in Control, but interesting enough that students would want to buy it. He wrote to Charles Schulz asking for a cartoon. The famous cartoonist obliged and Snoopy made an appearance in The Gargoyle.
In the 1990s, The Gargoyle searched for a format, going from the traditional magazine, to a comic book, to a tabloid, and back to a magazine. It disappeared once more, only to reappear in January 1999.
The exhibition was prepared by Marilyn M. McNitt. Located on North Campus, the Bentley is open 8:30 a.m.5 p.m. MondayFriday and 9 a.m.noon Saturday. Photo of The Law Giver courtesy Bentley Library