Four days left to help Ann Arbor woo Google’s ultrahigh-speed broadband network
It’s not too late to help lure Google to Ann Arbor for its Fiber for Communities ultrahigh-speed broadband demonstration project.
So gather up a few colleagues over lunch today — including one with a video camera — and make a YouTube video promoting Ann Arbor. It’s a chance to win prizes ranging from an Apple iPad or a digital camera to a variety of gift certificates from local merchants.
The city of Ann Arbor and U-M are teaming up to meet Google’s Friday deadline to complete a Request for Information (RFI) package. Based on that bundle of information — and the level of community support — Google will pick several communities in which it will install a broadband network that would stream data at 1 gigabit per second. That’s about 100 times faster than cable or DSL providers.
Here’s what people need to know to enter the video contest:
Be creative and describe in a 30-second to 90-second video what Ann Arbor can do with super high-speed Internet that would benefit our community, our region, or the world. It’s about innovation and imagining the possibilities. The most creative, thoughtful and compelling videos will win the prizes. Leran more details about the contest at la2m.org/a2fiber.
After recording the video, simply upload it to the A2 Fiber You Tube Contest Group at www.youtube.com/a2fibercontest. It’s that easy to enter. Deadline for entries is 1 p.m. Friday.
Residents who don’t wish to make a video can help in the following ways:
• Visit www.a2fiber.com to learn about multiple ways you can help spread the word about this project and tell Google why Ann Arbor should be chosen.
• Submit a community group and resident nomination form at www.google.com/appserve/fiberrfi/public/options.
• Become an A2 Fiber Facebook fan at www.facebook.com/a2fiber.
• Follow A2 Fiber on Twitter at www.twitter.com/a2fiber.
• Sign up to receive A2 Fiber e-mail notifications at www.a2gov.org/services/Pages/E-mailAlertSubscription.aspx.
• Tell everyone you know to do the same.