Office of the Vice President for Global Communications

Friday, April 2, 2010

U-M student hurt in house fire that
fatally injured EMU student

A U-M student was treated and released from University Hospital on Saturday for injuries received in an early morning, off-campus house fire that resulted in the death of an Eastern Michigan University student.

The name of the U-M student was not released. He was an occupant of the home at 928 S. State Street where the fire was reported about 5:30 a.m.

The Eastern Michigan student was identified as 22-year-old senior Renden LeMasters of Dexter, according to a statement by EMU. A woman at the house also was hospitalized for injuries received in the fire.

“This was a tragic situation and our hearts go out to Renden’s family and the families of the other students who were injured,” said Laura Blake Jones, associate vice president for student affairs and dean of students.

Representatives from the Division of Student Affairs responded to provide support and assistance at the fire and the hospital. “We will continue to work with those students directly affected by the tragedy, and Counseling and Psychological Services are available to all students who may need support,” Blake Jones said.

The Department of Public Safety has issued a Crime Alert related to the State Street fire as well as several other suspicious fires outside apartment houses near campus at various times Saturday.