New applicant management system, UMJOBS.org, offers more for managers, job seekers
A new system for managing the hiring process at U-M launched today.
It includes a new applicant management system, known internally as “eRecruit,” which is designed to support the hiring process for managers and administrators across all U-M campuses and the U-M Health System.
At a glance
Tips for job seekers when using the new UMJOBS.org
• Use a supported browser (Firefox 3.0, Internet Explorer 7, 8, Safari 3.1.x, 3.2.x). They have been tested to work with the new system.
• Fill out an application — The system will scan information presented within the application portion of your profile. Hiring supervisors can use it to search keywords that match with their job openings.
• Cover letter and resume must be in one file — Submit a job-specific cover letter and resume each time you apply.
• Sign up for RSS or e-mail alerts — If you wish to receive e-mail alerts or to subscribe to a feed, you must sign up. Instructions are on the new site.
• Look for e-mail confirmation — When you successfully complete an application, the system will send an e-mail.
Additionally, there is a new career website for applicants, UMJOBS.org, which offers a clean design and enhanced search functionality.
“Over the past 18 months, staff representatives from across all U-M campuses gave input and shaped the new applicant system and career site,” says Laurita Thomas, associate vice president for Human Resources.
“Every step of the way we were guided by that input and created a wish list to help develop a better system. The vast majority of features requested by university colleagues have been successfully incorporated, and we’re confident this collective effort will contribute to hiring the very best candidates for Michigan.”
The eRecruit applicant management system promises benefits that include easier access to resumes and applications, tools to manage applicant pools, and an easier process for previewing and modifying the text of job postings.
A comprehensive Unit Readiness program to train key unit representatives from across all campuses and the U-M Health System began in January. More information about eRecruit is available at hr.umich.edu/empserv/erecruit/.
The new UMJOBS.org website gives job seekers more options to find a career at U-M. The new design features enhanced search functionality, including “career interest” and “browse jobs” options. More options also are available for receiving and sharing job alerts, including notifications via e-mail, RSS feeds and social media services like Twitter.
For current U-M employees, and external job seekers who have been active on the site within the past year, information from the old system is available in the new site. However, a visit to the new site is required to sign up for and continue to receive e-mail alerts when new jobs are posted. Instructions can be found on the site’s FAQs page.
For more information, including an online tutorial and how-to videos, go to www.UMJOBS.org.