East Stadium Boulevard bridges replacement project begins Nov. 28
The city of Ann Arbor will close East Stadium Boulevard, between Kipke Drive and South Industrial Highway, to vehicular and pedestrian traffic beginning Nov. 28 and continuing through November 2012.
The closure is associated with the replacement of bridges over South State Street and the Ann Arbor Railroad. Local access from the west will be maintained from South Main Street to Kipke and the U-M Golf Course.
South State also will be closed Nov. 28 through Dec. 13 for the bridge replacement and installation of underground utilities within the vicinity.
Work on East Stadium includes:
• Demolition and reconstruction of the bridges over South State Street and the Ann Arbor Railroad.
• Staircase construction at South State Street.
• U-M pedestrian tunnel extensions.
• Installation of retaining walls and new street lighting along East Stadium Boulevard.
• Replacement of storm sewer lines and water mains.
• Reconstruction of East Stadium Boulevard.
East Stadium Boulevard will be rebuilt from Kipke Drive to South Industrial Highway and South State Street will be reconstructed from Henry Street to Rose Avenue.
The project also includes:
• Safety improvements including improved sight distances.
• The addition of on-street bike lanes.
• Sidewalks on both sides of the roadway.
• Improved street lighting.
• Greater vertical and horizontal clearances on both the South State Street and railroad bridges.
• Construction of a sidewalk on the west side of South State Street.
• Improved pedestrian access to East Stadium Boulevard via new staircases at the South State Street bridge.