Advisory committee named for LSA dean search
Provost Phil Hanlon has named a search advisory committee for the dean of LSA.
Paul N. Courant, university librarian and dean of libraries, University Library; Harold T. Shapiro Collegiate Professor of Public Policy, Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy; Arthur F. Thurnau Professor; professor of economics, LSA; and professor of information, School of Information, will chair the committee that has been charged with conducting a broad search and presenting an unranked slate of recommended candidates by winter term 2013.
Other members of the committee, from LSA unless otherwise indicated, are:
• Marcus C. Ammerlaan, Hiroshi Ikuma Collegiate Lecturer in Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology, and Hiroshi Ikuma Collegiate Lecturer in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
• Melissa Burns, undergraduate student
• Jennifer Y. Chudy, graduate student, Department of Political Science
• Angela D. Dillard, professor and director, Residential College, and professor, Department of Afroamerican and African Studies
• Kenneth Eisenberg, alumnus and chairman and CEO, Kenwal Steel Corp.
• Carol A. Fierke, Jerome and Isabella Karle Collegiate Professor of Chemistry, professor of chemistry, and chair, Department of Chemistry, LSA; and professor of biological chemistry, Medical School
• Susan A. Gelman, Frederick G. L. Huetwell Professor of Psychology and professor of psychology
• James P. Holloway, Arthur F. Thurnau Professor, professor of nuclear engineering and radiological sciences, and associate dean, College of Engineering
• Trachette L. Jackson, professor of mathematics
• Marie Lynn Miranda, dean and professor of natural resources, School of Natural Resources and Environment; and professor of pediatrics and communicable diseases, Medical School
• Robin A. Sarris, administrative director
• Michael C. Schoenfeldt, John R. Knott Jr. Collegiate Professor of English Literature, professor of English language and literature, and chair, Department of English Language and Literature
• Joel B. Slemrod, Paul W. McCracken Collegiate Professor of Business Economics and Public Policy and professor of business economics and public policy, Stephen M. Ross School of Business; and professor of economics and chair, Department of Economics, LSA
In a March email to faculty and staff at the school, Hanlon wrote that LSA Dean Terrence J. McDonald would step down Aug. 31, 2013, after 10 years in the position.
"Under Terry's leadership, the college has grown stronger along every dimension," Hanlon wrote. "The academic programs within LSA have continued to evolve and innovate with the launching of a number of new courses and degree programs and the establishment of new centers and institutes. Great faculty have been hired and the quality of the students is unparalleled. Terry has been a tireless and articulate advocate for the college and for the value of the liberal arts."