Winning departments announced for MHealthy Ergonomics Awards
MHealthy Ergonomics Awards were given to six university departments and units for independently implementing ergonomic solutions within their work environment. Winning areas have decreased risk factors and reduced or prevented employee discomfort by adding or modifying equipment or redesigning work processes.
Gold Level winners
• U-M Hospitals and Health Centers, Radiology — Conducted departmentwide research and provided sit/stand workstations at all stations.
• School of Public Health, Health Behavior and Health Education Department — Promoted self-help ergonomics departmentwide and implemented a stretching program, supporting staff time to participate.
Silver Level winner
• UMHHC, Turner Geriatrics Silver Club programs — Purchased lighter-weight tables with casters.
Bronze Level winners
• UMHHC, Pathology MLabs — Purchased a sit/stand workstation.
• School of Social Work — Purchased a higher desk for a tall employee.
• College of Pharmacy — Supported ergonomics consultations for employees at work.
"These awards recognize university departments and units that take care of their employees by making the workplace safer," says Suzanne Bade, MHealthy Ergonomics Awareness Team chair and senior ergonomics consultant. "Congratulations to all of the winning areas for promoting ergonomics risk reduction, raising awareness, and taking steps to improve employee comfort."
Nominations for department-level Ergonomics Awards are accepted each spring. Gold Level winners receive a special plaque and a celebration sponsored by MHealthy. Silver and bronze winners are recognized with a certificate of recognition or letter of commendation.
The MHealthy Ergonomics Awareness Team continues to accept nominations for its Individual Ergo Hero Award, recognizing faculty and staff members who have reduced their own or department/unit's risk of discomfort by using recommended postures, work strategies or equipment. Any employee can nominate another employee by submitting a short online form. Winners are recognized with an Ergo Hero lapel pin and a congratulatory certificate.