New program focuses on staying healthy into the new year
For many, the end of the year means office parties, planning holiday celebrations and preparing to welcome friends and family.
To help faculty and staff celebrate the season while maintaining health goals, MHealthy is offering Move, Lose & Maintain, a new eight-week healthy lifestyle program designed to keep employees moving and eating smarter into the new year.
"During November and December we are so busy thinking of others that it can be a challenge to eat well, fit in physical activity and just take care of ourselves," says Colleen Greene, MHealthy senior wellness coordinator. "This program can help you get moving, maintain your current weight or maybe even lose a few pounds."
Move, Lose & Maintain runs Nov. 19-Jan. 14. The goal is to be active for at least 30 minutes, at least three days of the week and maintain or reduce starting weight and/or waist measurement.
Participants will receive a Move, Lose & Maintain booklet that includes recipes, healthy tips, and a log to track physical activity, as well as weekly motivational emails.
To register, attend one of 11 weigh-in sessions at which height, weight and waist will be measured. Participants will weigh in again at the end of the eight weeks. Weigh-in locations are:
• Oct. 30: 8 a.m.-9:45 a.m., North Campus Research Complex, Building 16, Room G060C.
• Oct. 31: 11 a.m.-1 p.m., Michigan Union, Pond Room.
• Nov. 1: 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Wolverine Tower, G-228.
• Nov. 5: 11 a.m.-12:45 p.m., NCRC, Building 16, Room G059C.
• Nov. 6: 11 a.m.-1 p.m., Michigan League, Kalamazoo Room.
• Nov. 7: 6-9 a.m., University Hospital, Room 2G207.
• Nov. 7: 8:30-10:30 a.m., North Campus Recreation Building, main gym.
• Nov. 7: 10 a.m.-noon, UM-Flint, 407 Northbank Center.
• Nov. 13: 8:15-10 a.m., KMS Building, Conference Room 7.
• Nov. 13, 11 a.m.-1 p.m., UM-Dearborn, 1020 Administrative Building.
• Nov. 15: Noon-2 p.m., 2G207 University Hospital.
Departments/units that have 10 or more people who would like to register can contact their area's MHealthy Champion to schedule a weigh-in session at their worksite.